Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sew-along--Finishing Up!

I know that some of you have already finished your shirts/dresses, and I really can't wait to see them.  Today's post will be about the final few steps you will need to take to have a finished shirt or dress.

We finished yesterday with the collar binding.  The first step today is to turn the button band top corners right side out.  When you do this, the unfinished ends of your collar binding will end up neatly inside the button band.  Fold the rest of the button band in half length-wise and press.  I used my hem gauge to make sure I kept a uniform width all the way down.



Top-stitch around around all sides of your button bands, making sure to catch the back side of the band in the line of stitching closes to the shirt fronts. 





Hem your shirt or dress, using your favorite method.  I did a narrow hem that ended up being about 1/4-inch wide.  Then, you will need to do your closures.  I did buttons and buttonholes on Jenna's dress and snaps on the shirt I made Allie.  I think I will do snaps on this dress for Allie too, but I don't have enough tonight, so I'll have to get them tomorrow and give you some modelled pictures this weekend.

Thank you so much for sewing with me!  It was fun.  Show me your shirts and dresses too, please :)

5 comments:

  1. I didn't work on mine at all today. A different project I've been working on jumped off my WIP shelf and insisted I spend time on it instead. Does that ever happen to you? I'll be done soon though and then I'll post some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just received my Ottobre today. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get started on this top, I hope early next week. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures from everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My tops are finished with the exception of sewing the buttons on which I'll work on while my middle girl is at ballet tonight. I'll post pictures on my blog no later than Sunday afternoon of the finished tops. There's already a picture of one mostly done up there.

    Thanks for doing the sew-a-long Sandra! I've been wanting to make these since the issue came out but for one reason or another didn't get to it. Participating in the sew-a-long was the push I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping to get buttons on this weekend, but it will be a busy weekend with a spring festival at school on Saturday and birthday party on Sunday.

    I will wait patiently to see all of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine are finally done. Just buttons and buttonholes left on one. I'll do 'em in the morning and take Miss M out in the gorgeous weather for some photos. Yay!

    ReplyDelete